jeudi 26 mai 2011

Eagle Space 1999 : Iconic Replicas - Ex Product Enterprise - Now Sixteen12

Here is the latest addition to my Space 1999 Eagle Collection.
It is the Iconic Replicas 23" Laboratory model, I've read many stories about "Product Enterprise" which became "Iconic Replicas" and today "Sixteen12".
Apparently during the production under the Iconic Replicas name, many quality issues were encountered... This gave a very bad reputation to their production, the price was also very high for a "poor in details" huge model... Never the less, I had the opportunity to get one model at a really affordable price.
And I'm not disappointed, except for the chrome plated engine bells (I knew it and it is very easy to fix anyway).
Impossible for me to build a 23" model from scratch for a lower price...
I still want to build my eagle from scratch, this model makes me realize that a 44" would not be practical to handle or store, So I will go for a 23", and I will use the Iconic Replicas as a reference for the main proportions, I already have a lot of pictures of one of the real studio models during restoration.
So certainly not the best model, but if you can find one at a reasonable price it is still interesting.


I've started to review the main issues of this replica...
The first obvious things are the Engine bells, they look like the Dinky Toys from 1974...
I'll do some tests with mat varnish, or Alclad aluminum tones... As this model was not cheap (even if I found this one at a reasonable low price) I do not want to buy any improvement kits, for example the "turned aluminum engine bells", I 'll try to do something myself... We will see...
The other main problem is the huge and massive landing gear of the laboratory pod... So I disassembled the body carefully ! This "polyurethane" cast model is very fragile...

I'm also trying to improve the small side jet bells...

OK... Here is my "cheap" solution for the 4 "big bells", 2 layers of Alclad Aluminium, see the reflection on the Moon Buggy (1/72), it shines but is not a perfect "mirror".

More "complicated"... But the result even if it is not perfect, is already better and it is fine for me.


I've watched "again" the episode "All that glisters", where we can see in detail the landing gear of the laboratory pod.
I really do not like season two at all...
Stories... Acting... Colors... "humor"... Guest "stars"... I hate all of these episodes, the will of the producers to reposition the show is comprehensible, but the result is just ridiculous...
Anyway who cares ?... So, At least we can see new cool space ships and vehicles.

TO BE CONTINUED...


Other Space 1999 Eagle Models : Product Enterprise
Other Space 1999 Eagle Models : Mattel
Other Space 1999 Eagle Models : Dinky Toys

Aucun commentaire: